2-12 North River Street

Disciplines

  • Architecture
  • Historic Tax Credit Consulting

Types

  • Housing
  • Retail

Location
Aurora, IL

Size
70,000SF

a two-story dome graces downtown Aurora once again

GWA Dots

The renovation of 2-12 N River St. includes the Hobbs Building, an 1895 landmark building originally built as a furniture store, and a three-story warehouse for International Harvester built in 1901 and 1912.  Both structures have experienced many changes over the years, particularly to their storefronts and facades.

timeless, yet timely

The renovation of these buildings from long-vacant commercial buildings into modern mixed-use spaces was approached utilizing the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation. 

Most notable on the Hobbs building was the missing signature onion dome on the corner turret. Studio GWA studied historical photos, newspaper archives, and remnants of the original dome to understand changes made over the years to both the dome and the building itself.  

a River Street anchor

GWA Dots

2-12 North River Street features commercial space on the ground floors and one- and two-bedroom residential units on the upper floors.  These spaces will only add to the increasing vibrancy of downtown Aurora, and the details found on both the Hobbs and International Harvester buildings will complement the activities and events happening downtown for years to come.

related projects

Design rendering - Sterling Riverfront

Sterling Riverfront

Sterling, IL

Architecture, Urban Planning, Historic Tax Credit Consulting

The Lawrence Brothers and Stanley-National complexes are former manufacturing buildings that have shaped the southern gateway to Sterling, Illinois for over 100 years. The success of each enterprise was manifested in the sheer size of their buildings; put together, the complexes have over 688,000 square feet of space.

Lux Cuts

Beloit, WI

Architecture, Interior Design

What once housed an acoustical dropped ceiling, wood and molding wrapped columns, dated flooring, and prefabricated wall panels is now an industrial and vintage-styled barber shop in the heart of downtown Beloit.

Historic preservation and design - The Standard

The Standard

Rockford, IL

Architecture

Originally built in 1916, 214 East State Street is Rockford’s first non-combustible structure and hosts impressive concrete structural columns that add to the grandeur of the space.